Sunday 28 August 2011

Come On Irene

I've put on a pound! Way hay! It is not much but it is a start. Obviously all the picking is doing something. I  tried one of my Complan sachets this afternoon. I'm a bit dubious about the flavours though. They boast original, whatever that is, strawberry, banana, chocolate and.................chicken. Ewww! A cold chicken drink sounds horrible. I stuck to chocolate, being the coward that I am. In my experience strawberry and banana drinks sometimes taste like anything but, chocolate on the other hand always tastes like chocolate. And this did but a very weak flavour and not at all sweet. It wasn't as bad as it could have been but not as nice as I'd hoped.

Last nights meal out was a delight. I managed to eat a starter of Mozzarella wrapped in breadcrumbs, deep fried and served on a tomato and basil sauce. It was delicious but for me enough, I didn't even finish it because it was very filling. The men ploughed through a starter, main course and Laurence and Andrew even managed pudding. I love Italian food well cooked and was really disappointed that I just couldn't eat anything else. I did taste everyone else's food though so that was OK. Laurence was given a beautiful Peroni beer glass because it was his birthday. How nice is that?

Driving through Dunstable afterwards I couldn't believe how deserted the place was. This was nine thirty on a bank holiday Saturday night and the place was empty. I know the clubbing hot spots are mostly in Luton and Bedford these days but even so.

So New York was bracing itself for the biggest storm to hit it in close to fifty years and some hysterical reporters were likening the event to 9/11 (the tenth anniversary of which is next month). How ridiculous and how insulting to those who died in the plane attack and their relatives. Even at it's worst this storm was going to be nothing like the plane attacks. For a start New York had plenty of warning and the sensible people had moved out. In 2001 they were not so lucky. And why is the focus always on New York when other parts of the country have already been hit and suffered loss of life? Florida was badly hit with one man getting the Darwin award for ignoring surfing warning and getting himself killed. There is alway one! As it turned out the hit was no where near as bad as expected as Irene was downgraded to a tropical storm before it got to New York. They are still expecting a storm surge later with some flooding but on the whole they seem to have got away with it. Not like poor New Orleans when Katrina hit a few years ago.

We had a quiet day today, Peter worked on his car, Andrew spent the day reading and Laurence went off with his mates to a cider festival in Westoning. I watched the Grand Prix  which was quite interesting the watched the film The Queen which I've managed to avoid up to now. It wasn't as bad as I'd been lead to believe but was not something I'd have been happy paying to see in the cinema.

Not feeling too bad today but then I haven't really done anything to test myself. My plans to spend the afternoon in the garden were dashed by a sudden downpour so all I've done is sit in front of the TV or sit in front of the computer. OK I did cook lunch and I have washed all the towels and the bed lining but nothing really physical. Maybe tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment