Saturday 14 January 2012

That Sinking Feeling

A report has just been published that says that eating just two rashers of bacon a day can increase your chances of getting cancer. Ye Gods! Is there ANYTHING we CAN eat without worrying about it killing us? They have it in for sausages too so if you enjoy a good old fashioned fry up from time to time your number is up. Personally I don't pay any attention to all this scare mongering and believe in everything in moderation and you can't go far wrong. So I will continue to enjoy my bacon and sausages and anything else that takes my fancy for that matter.

Had a long discussion with Peter about what I'm going to do after I've had my transplant. He tentatively suggested that I might want to return to teaching. I must admit I've been so focused on having the transplant that I've given no thought to what happens after, well except dreaming of diving into my local swimming pool that is. It would be nice to resume my career but there are so many unknowns. For instance I don't know if I would be able to go back into the classroom purely because of the infection risk. Schools are notorious hotbeds of infection and as transplant patients are advised against using public transport because of infection risk then I imagine teaching might not be an option. It is another question to add to the list I'm building up for when I see the transplant team at the end of the month. The discussion has got me thinking though. At the moment I'm perfectly happy with the work I do, it is interesting, rewarding, gives me a sense of purpose and allows me to use my brain. However if I were really well and capable of more physical activity would I still be content to sit in front of a computer all day? I suppose that is something I will find out if I'm lucky enough to get new lungs.In the meantime it doesn't hurt to keep my options open so I might look into it to see what refresher courses I'd need.

Had an absolutely awful day at work. I just seemed to be out of step and couldn't get my act together at all. I was so glad when it was time to leave. There was no particular reason for it, the phone calls were the usual mix of sensible and insane, there were no long lulls or periods of frantic activity and everyone else seemed OK as far as I could tell. I guess I'll just have to chalk it up as 'one of those days' and hope thing go better tomorrow.

The trip into work was a delight, the sun was just rising and I drove past fields white with frost on empty roads. I didn't see any wildlife unfortunately but anything with any sense would still be tucked up nice and warm somewhere in this weather. The drive home was equally nice with a lovely sunset developing. I turned on Ozzie at full blast and sang myself back into a good humour. I hope tomorrow is better.

The big news of the day is the sinking of the cruise ship Costa Concordia off the Tuscan coast. At the moment only five people are confirmed dead and fifty are missing, which is quite astonishing considering it was carrying four thousand passengers and crew. Looking at the pictures you have to wonder how a modern vessel slipped onto it's side so quickly. I thought modern ships were supposed to have all sort of  stuff to keep it upright in the event of a collision, maybe I was wrong. Peter and I had been discussing the possibility of taking a cruise recently but looking at the pictures I must say I'm not that keen. I know this is a rare event but seeing such a huge ship on it's side does tend to put you off. Thankfully this incident has narrowly missed being a fully fledged disaster and the majority of the passengers are now safe and well onshore and will soon be back home. For those that are still missing I really hope they will also be returned to their families safe and well but as time moves forward it is sadly looking less likely.

A late start tomorrow, I'm doing the eleven to six shift, which will be a change and ensures I get a lie in. Hopefully I will feel more like myself and it will be an easier day all round.


No comments:

Post a Comment