Saturday 15 September 2012

Things That Go 'Plop' In The Night

Well to say I had a disturbed night would be an understatement.

I was woken at just past three by the husband charging around with a torch. He had gone to the loo and got splatted on the head by a very cold drop of water as he crossed the corridor and was using the torch to investigate while trying not to wake me. With lights on it was a lot easier to find the leak and fix it, albeit temporarily. The problem was the ball cock in the cold water storage tank in the loft. It had stuck and the tank had started to overflow. I was dispatch to the bathroom to turn the cold taps on while he banged around and swore until he managed to free things up. We got back to bed around four but I then faced another problem.

Tarmac is not the brightest cat in the world, bless him, but he has learned that when I get out of bed it means he's going to get fed. He has got the hang of the fact that a midnight trip to the loo, with lights off, doesn't equate to 'getting up' but I'd been out of bed for an hour, with the lights on. To him this was as clear a signal as he was ever going to get that it was time for breakfast and so he was deeply offended that I'd gone back to bed. He tried everything. He tried to dig away the duvet, he tried burrowing under the duvet, he stood on my shoulder and patted my face with his paw and then he ran his claws through my hair, which is precisely when he got booted out.

So it was a slow start this morning and I just know I'm going to be out of sorts all day. If I don't fall asleep on the settee this afternoon I'll be very surprised. All I can say is thank goodness I wasn't working today, they'd have found me face down over my keyboard without a doubt.

Yesterday I started watching the series Prime Suspect. I have the box set of all seven episodes as I loved the series when it was on TV. There is no denying it has aged, especially the first two but it is still one of the best TV cop shows I've ever seen. So I bet you cannot guess what I have planned for this afternoon. Having said that I might just venture out onto the decking with a book if it warms up a bit, I don't think there are going to be many more opportunities this year.

In the news there is the current headlines regarding topless pictures of Kate Middleton.

There are several things that come to mind when reading this story. The most obvious of course is, given who she is and the fact that we've just had the Harry non scandal, why didn't she have some sense and keep her top on. Yes, of course, she SHOULD be able to do what she likes on a private holiday same as everyone else but she isn't the same as everyone else and the paparazzi will go to any lengths to catch her off guard. Secondly in a world where topless and indeed near naked celebrities are paraded in front of us on a daily basis why are these photos so shocking? Where were the body guards and advisors? From the pictures of where the photo's were taken from it is inconceivable that the photographers couldn't be seen from the villa. What is really worrying is what if it had been a gunman and not a photographer? And finally, given what happened to his mum, wouldn't you think William might just have offered a few words of caution? After all he knowns how to handle the press, he has grown up surrounded by them and is all too aware of what they do. He roundly blamed the paparazzi for his mother's death so why wouldn't he do absolutely everything to keep Kate safe.

There is only one solution that I can see, when you next fancy a bit of sunbathing make sure it is behind a very tall wall bristling with machine guns otherwise, keep your top on.

I've been feeling nauseous all morning and have just worked out why, my anti sickness pill is still sitting on my breakfast  plate so I'd better go and take it or I'm in for a very rough day indeed.


No comments:

Post a Comment