Tuesday 2 October 2012

The Hounding Of The Dead

I had some very positive texts from Andrew yesterday saying how much he was enjoying the lectures. This morning I discover a post on FB also indicating that he'd enjoyed himself.  I cannot tell you what a relief that is, long may it continue.

Is anyone as horrified at the 'scandal' that has blown up around Jimmy Saville?

I'm not talking about what it is he is alleged to have done, though that in itself is shocking, but the fact that all these accusations are flying around when he can no longer defend himself. Let me just say before I go any further that if what is alleged is true then it is awful and I feel really sorry for the girls involved, however why has all this come to light now when he has been dead for months? We only have the word of one side remember, despite other celebrities such as Esther Rantzen crawling out of the woodwork to condemn him claiming to know what was going on. I am particularly surprised at her not doing anything at the time with her background and her Childline. For me the mere fact she remained silent puts the whole thing in doubt. If what is being alleged is true and others knew about it why did no one do anything about it? Doesn't that mean they are guilty too? They say he was protected but why? What made him so special that other would risk their consciouses and possibly their careers, to save him?

Police have confirmed that Jimmy was interviewed but they couldn't find enough evidence to take the case any further, so even back then when it was alleged to actually be happening there was no real proof. That was back in the 1970's and yet thirty years have passed since then and no one came forward even though it is alleged the abuse continued throughout most of his life? Is it just me that finds this all a little bit strange?

And what is the point? What on earth can they hope to gain? If it does turn out to be true what punishment can be given? He cannot be jailed or fined. I read that one girl said she was going to tell but 'lost her nerve'. I'm sorry if that had happened to me I'd have screamed my head off and told the first person I saw afterwards. Fifteen year olds, even back in the 1970's are no shrinking violets so I find it very odd that these girls told no one and have kept quiet for all these years. Of course other celebrities and indeed the BBC are now embroiled in the thing as they are accused of a cover up. In truth we will never know what really went on because Jimmy is not here to answer these accusations. And I for one find this hounding of the dead rather distasteful and will remain skeptical unless concrete evidence is produced.

I am in pain. I had such a restless night, sweating, aching and unable to get comfortable, all of which I've attributed to the flu jab I had yesterday. My arm is red and swollen and I have a slight rash. Sometime during one of these bouts of restlessness I must have turned awkwardly and as a result my back is killing me this morning. I've already soaked it in a hot bath and am now sitting here with a mini hot water bottle at my back. If it doesn't ease by lunchtime I'll have to resort to pain killers.

Yesterday I was left to my own devices again so spent a very lazy afternoon in front of the TV. I go back to work on Thursday so it was one of my last chances to slob out. It has been a lovely break, OK I didn't get to go away in the end but I was able to completely relax and enjoy myself. I've been on shopping sprees, chilled out on the settee, eaten lots, and been out and about with my camera. In short doing all the things I would have done somewhere else but without the comforts of home. We are now planning a definite getaway for spring. By then I will know if I have a chance of transplant. If I do then it will be a nice break from all the waiting. If I don't then it will be time to start doing all the things we promised we would do while I still can.

I still haven't made my mind up about my long term future at work. Over the next few months there is going to be a lot of upheaval whilst new systems are brought in and our shift patterns change.Once everything has settled down and I get a feel for how this effects me then I'll be in a better position to make the decision.

Peter has another cold, apparently his workplace is full of it at the moment so I'm keeping my distance. If it is nice this afternoon we are going for a final fling with the camera's, if not we will do our weekly shop and hope that tomorrow's weather is better. Either way I need to get him out of the house and into the fresh air where I have less chance of catching it and his head will clear, at least for a while.

I woke up this morning to hear that a five year old girl has gone missing from outside her home in Machynlleth, North Wales. This is very sad but I can't help feeling some of the blame must lie with her parents. April was allowed out to play, in the dark without any adult supervision. OK she was with friends but by all accounts most were no older than she was. Who lets a five year old out after dark, essentially on her own? I don't know the area, it is possible it is like my own area which is very quiet and where strangers are easily spotted. It may be that the parents felt it was safe to allow their child out to play. It may be that they felt there was safety in numbers. However how is a five year old, or even ten five year olds going to stop a determined adult up to no good? Children of that age have little observation skills and do not have the physical strength to stop anyone for doing anything. All they can do is run for help and by the time they have blurted out their, no doubt garbled and disjointed story, the deed will have been done and the culprit vanished.

Locals are out in force scouring the area for April and the van but I'm sorry to say that the chances of either still being in the area are very remote. He, as we are presuming it is a he at the moment, could be anywhere in Britain given the time that has elapsed and there is no guarantee April is still with him. I hope she is found safe and unharmed and the culprit caught but as each hour passes this seems less likely. One thing is for sure whatever the outcome her parents will never forgive themselves.

Well time to refill the hot water bottle and grab a cup of tea.




No comments:

Post a Comment