Monday 26 November 2012

A Day Of Firsts

I know this sounds strange for a former IT teacher but I've always been scared of the modern phones. The touch screens terrify me as I've never really felt comfortable with them.

However the time has come to upgrade. I'm on pay as you go at the moment and while that is fine in the normal course of events, if something out of the ordinary happens, such as going into hospital, my costs are enormous. My bill from being in Papworth was £57 and when I was in Brompton for two weeks last year it was nearer the £100 mark. The Internet is so expensive I don't actually use it, so for the first time in my life I'm going with a contract. I also get a new phone. The one I've plumped for is the Samsung Galaxy Ace Plus which comes with free insurance, 600 mins, 1GB of data and unlimited texts all for £10 per month. As I regularly spend £15 - £20 a month now just on texts this seems like a good deal to me. So I've taken the plunge and hopefully will get on well with it.

I am going out with some friends from work this lunch time. We are all meeting at a pub to celebrate my friend Steve's new job. This is the first time I've ever been out with people from work, not because I don't want to but because these things are usually at night which makes it difficult. I must say I'm really looking forward to it. And I have the privilege of acting as chauffeur to the guest of honour.

Over the last day or two there have been calls for people to post more on the official PH website forums.

While I would support this move I can't help thinking that the moderators on the official site have brought this lack of posting on themselves. It used to be a really good forum where you could ask anyone more or less anything related to PH. Then people started to object to the graphic content of some of the answers saying that some readers would be upset, scared or worried by what they read and we should more or less sweep the nasty bits of PH under the carpet. I and several others objected to this restriction sighting the facts that if people didn't want to know the answers they wouldn't be asking the questions. Also that it was better to be up front about the nasty bits as it meant no lulling people into false hope and them ending up having a nasty shock.

Unfortunately the moderators seemed more influenced by the vocal minority, isn't that always the case, and started issuing warnings, removing posts and then banning people. All extremely inappropriate behaviour for a forum supposed to be helping and supporting people through a terminal illness. I mean come on! How can you talk about a terminal illness without mentioning 'death' for heavens sake! Then they switched systems and everyone was removed from the members list and had to re-register only instead of just filling out an online form the registration process involved a moderator ringing you and quizzing you to establish your motives for joining. All I'm trying to do is join a forum love, not join MI5.

The result is that membership has plummeted and there are very few people around to help newcomers. A classic case of using a sledge hammer to crack a nut if you ask me.

Strictly Watch

Oh my goodness! I was right for once, Victoria has gone! I think I'll have to have a lie down in a darkened room.

Right got to go and get ready, time to party on dudes.

No comments:

Post a Comment