Saturday 28 December 2013

Our Christmas Day

Yesterday was the official Roberts Christmas day and a good time was had by all.

Yes we finally got to sit down, eat our turkey dinner, drink a little wine and exchange gifts. Although only two days after the actual day it felt like we'd waited ages.

Unable to get a fresh turkey from our local farm this year I bought a turkey crown instead. To be honest a whole turkey is always too big for the four of us, even with the vultures I've raised, so a crown would hopefully cut down on waste. I have to say it was the best decision I've ever made. The meat was delicious and really moist and carving it couldn't be easier. The was still plenty left over and because it is all white meat, no one will eat the dark meat, it will soon be gobbled up in sandwiches. I for one love a turkey sandwich with Branston pickle or sliced, pickled beetroot, so my lunches for work are sorted for next week. Laurence also took a good few slices for his work sandwiches too.

We started with a hot cheesy dip and finished with my beautifully smooth and creamy sherry truffle cup, recipe below. Then after clearing up, and I was helped by everyone, we sat in front of the TV and watched a film whilst sipping coffee and then it was the big gift exchange. I'm easy to buy for, anything from Lush or L'Occitane makes my day, as do chocolates, and I was in luck this year as I got something of all three catagories. I also got series one and two of Sherlock, which was a bit of a surprise but very welcome. I've now just got to find time to watch them before series three starts on New Year's Day.

I was also given a lot of travel stuff, miniature bottles of shower gel, hand cream etc. And a cook book for my slow cooker. At the moment I only use it for making cawl so this was a really welcome gift and everyone will benefit as I try out the recipes. The small stuff was given in anticipation of my transplant as I always prefer to take small bottles into hospital with me as they take up less room and I don't feel so aggrieved if I leave a bottle in the shower and it gets stolen.

Today I've hit the sales, well figuratively speaking, I've gone onto the Lush and L'Occitane websites and bought some of the Christmas stuff they are selling off cheaply for about a third of the cost it would normally be. So I am a very happy bunny indeed. And I won't need to buy any bath stuff for at least six months. What's not to like? I've also bought some artist's materials so I can start getting back into my painting.

This afternoon I'm going to sit with my feet up in front of the TV and sample my chocolates. After yesterday's massive cookathon I think I deserve a rest.

Creamy Sherry Truffle Cups

250ml double cream
4 medium egg yolks whisked
5 tablespoons - 75ml strong black coffee
5 tablespoons - 75ml sweet sherry
150g dark chocolate (70% cocoa)
90g milk chocolate
whipping cream
6 martini glasses

In a non stick pan bring cream to the boil and remove from heat. Whisk gradually into the egg yolks. DO NOT add cream all at once or you will end up with scrambled egg. Add the coffee and the sherry then cover and allow to cool.

Melt the chocolate in a bowl over a pan of boiling water and whisk into the custard half at a time. Divide mixture between the glasses and place in fridge, preferably overnight, to set. Decorate with whipping cream and grated chocolate. Serve with Amaretto biscuits Enjoy.

Right back in the kitchen I go but at least it means I get to use up the left over mash and veg. Today's offering honey glazed ham with bubble and squeak.



No comments:

Post a Comment