Friday 31 January 2014

Aberystwyth Versus Nature Second Round.

The healthy me is gradually emerging from the shadows. Instead of waking up this morning hacking like a sixty a day smoker, I gave a couple of light coughs to clear my airways and that was that. Brilliant! I'm not stupid and I know I'm still recovering from a very nasty infection but I'm feeling more like me at last.

To celebrate this change of events I'm accompanying Peter to the shops later to get some essential supplies. I have been told that I'm going to be wrapped up warmly, that I must not touch anything and that we will be a quick as possible. It's a week since I left the house, well except the quick trip to the doctor's on Tuesday, so I'm quite looking forward to it. I do worry about catching things when out and about at this time of year but I have to leave the house at some point. I'm still on antibiotics so I'm protected somewhat there so now is as good a time as any to test the waters.

I had a bit of excitement yesterday. Someone put a bid in for one of my items, and there is still five days to go with over fifty people watching. I'm now more hopeful of getting further bids nearer the end date. At least now I will have some money to open my 'post transplant holiday fund' with. It may not be much but it is a start. The frustrating thing is I'll be in work when the auction ends so I'll miss out on all the excitement. I've put Peter in charge of watching and posting the items off for me afterwards. Next time I'll time the auction to finish on one of my days off.

I also had some good news. Andrew is starting to get his results back and so far he's passed everything, including the exam he was least confident about. Very good news as he has interviews coming up. Next week is the start of his five week placement so he's coming home for the weekend to prepare. This usually involves taking over my kitchen to make large amounts of pasta and curry. I am fine with this provided he clears up after himself.

In the news I'm delighted to read that Michael Schumacher is responding to simple commands and has even blinked during the wake up process. Although this is excellent news the doctors are still urging caution as he has a very long way to go yet. However it is a small step in the right direction and every small step gives more hope.

Last night I watched as Amanda Knox and Raffaele Sollecito were once again found guilty of the murder of Meredith Kercher. They were even given harder sentences, 28 years and six months and 25 years respectively. What a complete shambles this has turned out to be. As a result of incompetence or awful misjudgement, we will never know which, this pair were found guilty, then not guilty and then guilty again. Of course neither were at the new trial. Knox has fled back to the safety of the USA while Sollecito was caught trying to cross the border into Slovenia just hours after the verdict.

The people I feel really sorry for are Meredith's family. They have been through hell and back trying to get justice and closure and it is now doubtful they will get either. Things are not helped by the two murderers attitudes (I'll call them that as this is what they are at this moment in time). Neither have come across as likable people. Both have shown breath taking arrogance and neither, as far as I know, have ever shown the slightest sympathy for Meredith or her family. The first thing Knox said on hearing the verdict was that she was 'a fugitive' and the ruling was 'deeply unjust' making herself out to be the victim here. Although we can never prove beyond reasonable doubt that they did actually kill Meredith this unpleasant pair have condemned themselves by their own actions. If not guilty, why run?

My home town of Aberystwyth is busy bracing itself for another onslaught by mother nature. Only weeks after the promenade was all but destroyed by high tides and strong winds another storm is approaching, this one predicted to be just as bad, if not worse than last time. The university has evacuated hundreds of students from it's sea front accommodation and even paid travel fares so most can return home for the weekend. Windows have been boarded up and sandbags dumped in doorways. The council say they are better prepared this time around. However this is the same council that has just spent thousands on new 'Victorian style' road signs. Mysteriously they think the addition of these signs is going to improve Aberystwyth's attractiveness to tourists. Well I don't know about you but I've never visited anywhere because of its road signs. I don't know anyone else who has either.

What does attract me is adequate, cheap parking, something to see, something to do and good food. What makes Aberystwyth special is it's sea front and shouldn't the money be spent on protecting and repairing this asset rather than replacing perfectly adequate road signs that 80% of people never look at anyway?

While writing this I have received my clinic letter from Papworth. One paragraph got us both in hysterics.

'Hazel has been on the transplant waiting list for approximately one year. At the moment she has not had any false alarms however hopefully this will change in the near future.'

Do you think they really mean what they've said? Lol!

No comments:

Post a Comment